Canopy Ed’s mission is to facilitate learning in a virtual environment. To accomplish this goal, it’s essential that CanopyEd.com is a safe place for learners to engage, submit work, and that only the learners and teachers are in control over how that information is shared.
Protecting your privacy is central to our mission. The following commitments summarize our promises to you:
- We will never share or sell your teacher or learner data to a third party.
- We will never advertise on CanopyEd.com.
- We don’t own the content you add to CanopyEd.com - you or the organization you work for retain all claims to the intellectual property of what you create
- We are transparent about our practices and will notify you if things change.
Both “Student Data” and “Teacher Data” are protected and stored on Google Cloud servers. Neither type of data will be shared with third parties.
The key difference between “Student data” and “Teacher Data” is that “Teacher Data” may be used to send emails from Canopy Ed Inc. related to updates and features of the Canopy Ed platform while “Student Data” will only be used to send emails triggered by actions directly related to courses the learner is enrolled in such as notifications that new lessons have been added or alerts related to messages received in the platform.
WHO DOES CanopyEd.com COLLECT INFORMATION FROM?
Teachers and students who create accounts on CanopyEd.com.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES CanopyEd.com COLLECT?
Account Information: When teachers or students create an account, we collect your name, email address, and password.
Learners can create an account by themselves, and the site collects personally identifiable information about them including their names and email addresses. This information may be entered by a teacher, the student or populated from the student’s account with a third party sign-in service, such as their Google account.
Learners who do not have an email address or do not wish to share their email may have the option to create an account using a custom “username” that they can create during the account creation process. In this case they will not receive email notifications related to updates in the courses they are enrolled in. Learners who do not have an email address or do not wish to share their email may have the option to create an account using a custom “username” that they can create during the account creation process. In this case they will not receive email notifications related to updates in the courses they are enrolled in.
Teachers that wish to manually add or upload Learners into a course should obtain consent from those Learners before creating their accounts.
Note: Teacher accounts are able to view Student names and email addresses for students enrolled in their account. Use of this data by the Teachers is regulated by the Terms and Privacy policies of that individual or the organization which they represent. Students can opt to leave a course at any time, at which point the teacher of that course will no longer have access to it.
Classwork: CanopyEd.com also stores content that is added by the teacher and collects content that is submitted by the student as classwork. This content may include; answers to open ended questions, discussion responses, drawings, or completed worksheet assignments. We regularly add types of information that can be submitted as classwork, and these are all covered by this Policy. We also collect comments on student work from teachers which may be text.
Information from your Google Account or other Third-Party Sign-in Service: CanopyEd.com allows teachers and students to sign up for and log into our service using a Google Account. When we create a CanopyEd account using one of these Third-Party Services, we use the name and email address (if available) provided by these services.
Teachers that wish to populate courses with students through the Google Classroom integration should obtain consent from those Learners before creating their accounts.
Log Data: When you use CanopyEd.com, we receive log data such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, device information, and your mobile carrier. In addition, we may receive or collect additional information such as the referring web page, referring search terms, and pages visited. If you are using CanopyEd.com as a teacher, parent, or administrator, CanopyEd.com may use your IP address to determine your approximate location for the purposes of sending you customized marketing and other information about our products. These types of communications will not be sent to Learner accounts.
HOW DOES CanopyEd.com USE THIS INFORMATION?
We only use this information to provide our services to you. For example we use this information to:
- Allow you to access and use our service by verifying your identity and storing your Classwork.
- Provide teachers, schools, and family members with customer support.
- Notify you about activity on and updates to your account or your child’s account (if you’ve indicated in your account settings that you’d like notifications).
- Research, understand, and analyze trends of users to improve and develop new features for our products.
- Promote enhancements to CanopyEd.com relevant for teachers, families and schools.
- Investigate, prevent, and detect activities on our service that we believe may violate the law or applicable regulations. We may, at the request of a school or organization, investigate accounts to determine whether they comply with school policies.
You can withdraw consent for the collection of your personal information at any time, and also opt-out of marketing communications from us.
DOES CanopyEd.com ALLOW ADVERTISING OR SHARE DATA FOR ADVERTISING?
IN WHAT LIMITED CIRCUMSTANCES MAY CanopyEd.com NEED TO SHARE MY INFORMATION?
We do not sell or share any data you provide with third parties except in the limited circumstances detailed below:
- We use a small number of third-party services in order to operate and improve CanopyEd.com – for example a data center operator that manages our servers or a notification service that helps us send you messages about your account. These services need access to your personally identifiable information in order to work (i.e. your email address is required to send you email), but are contractually prohibited from using that information for any other purpose other than to provide the CanopyEd.com service.
- CanopyEd.com may disclose your information to a third party to comply with applicable laws or regulations, or a valid legal request - including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited from doing so by law.
- CanopyEd.com may disclose student Account Information and Classwork to the child’s school district upon request, as required by FERPA.
- By default, Courses teachers create are private to their account. Optionally, teachers may choose to publish Courses they create to the Teacher Canopy. In these cases, the activity and the teacher’s profile name will be shared publicly (to the Teacher Canopy) or with other teachers in the communities they have joined. In this case only the content created by the Teacher is shared - NOT the student information related to the original course.
- No student responses to Classwork are ever shared.
- We may share activities published to the public Teacher Canopy with teachers who we think may be interested in using them with their class.
DO YOU COLLECT OTHER DATA?
We intentionally limit our data collection to only what we need to provide the CanopyEd.com service for you.
However, sometimes we get asked if we collect data about some other topic or area that’s of particular interest to a school. To be clear, we do not collect biometric, behavioral, free or reduced lunch eligibility, health, or financial data.
Canopy Ed, Inc.
2156 Lee Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808